Italian Lakes tour 11days/10 nights
Italian Lakes tour 11days/10 nights
FROM ONLY5200 €
Art, culture, grand cities and the extraordinary beauty of majestic lakes highlight this trip through Northern Italy.
For the 2,500 years of its history Milan, has always been an important center of power, wealth and commerce. Today it is the second largest city in Italy and is the country’s capital of finance, industry, design and fashion. In 2015 it was home to the Milano World Expo. The Last Supper of Leonardo, the Duomo and the Teatro dalla Scala are just a few highlights of our two night stay here. Additional features of our inland journeys are Bergamo Alta, the palaces of Renaissance Mantova and Lake Iseo visit.
Fabulous lake view rooms in Bellagio with visits to Villa del Balbianello spotlight our time on Lake Como. Our visit to Lake Garda includes a fabulous two night in Limone sull Garda, a day trip to UNESCO site the Dolomites, scenic drive around the lake and boat tour around the Sirmione peninsula. We will explore the Borromeo islands on Lake Maggiore by boat and enjoy lakeview rooms at our Baveno hotel. Our Italian Lakes tour explorations will round out with a morning on Lake Orta and romantic farawell dinner on Pescatori Island.
PRICE: based on the number of people in your group.
- 8900 euro/person for a group of two
- 7300 euro/person for a group of four
- 6500 euro/person for a group of six
- 5200 euro/person for a group of eight
- Single room supplement: 1200 euro
TOUR DATES: on request
All departures between Nov 1st and March 31st 15% discounted.
Day 1 MILAN AIRPORT-MILAN
After airport pick up you’ll be transfered to Grand Hotel Rosa 5* or similar, our lodging for the first two nights on the tour. In the evening we’ll depart for our first evening out on the town. Welcome meeting and aperitifs in the garden of a local restaurant. An introduction to traditional Milanese cuisine will follow.(B,D)
Day 2 MILAN
The Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci is housed in Santa Maria delle Grazie Church. Painted between 1494 and 1498 Leonardo abandoned the traditional painting on wet plaster for an experimental painting on dry wall, that resulted in much deterioration and successive restorations. It remains one of the world’s most celebrated works of art. After guided tour of Last Supper walking tour will continue in the afternoon with a visit to the fabulous Duomo, the symbol of Milan and the fifth largest church on this planet. The rest of the day is free to explore Milan on your own.(B)
Day 3 MILAN-BERGAMO-BELLAGIO
After breakfast drive to the nerby Bergamo, set against the Italian Alps and rising 85 meters off the valley, presents one of the most beautiful hill town settings in all of Italy. Our local guide tour will include a panoramic drive up to the old town followed by visits to the Piazza Vecchia and the Palazzo della Ragione and Cable car ride up to Colle San Vigilio
In the afternoon drive to enchanting Bellagio on Lake Como. We’ll be staying two nights at the Hotel Florence or similar. Free evening. (B)
Day 4 BELLAGIO-LENNO-BELLAGIO
Lake Como is formed in the shape of an upside down “Y”, Bellagio occupying the vertex and the internal shores where the lake splits into two branches.
Today we’ll explore the western coastline and visit two an extraordinary villa on a private tour. Villa del Balbianello was constructed in the early 1800s on a promontory near the town of Lenno. The beauty of the villa, its spectacular setting and views have made it the location of many famous films.
Lunch on your own at one of the lakeside cafes of Lenno. Afternoon arrival back to Bellagio. In the evening dinner in a local resturant. (B,D)
Day 5 BELLAGIO-LAGO DI ORTA–LIMONE SUL GARDA
Leave in the morning and head to fourth largest lake in N. Italy- the Iseo lake famous for largest lake island and Riva style boats.
At the arrival enjoy a short visit of Iseo town and a stroll down the main lake promenade, then head to the nerby Franciacorta sparkling wine region for a Cantina visit and light lunch.
In the afternoon departure Franciacorta for Lake Garda. Following a spectacular road on shores of Lake Garda arrival at Limone sul Garda for two nights. Your hotel is Park Hotel Imperial 5* or similar. Dinner in a local restaurant. (B,D)
Day 6 LIMONE SUL GARDA-LAGO DI TOBLINO-ST.URLICH-LIMONE SUL GARDA
This morning we’ll take the UNESCO Dolomite panoramic route north into the region of Alto Adige.
Our first photo stop is at a castle on Lake Toblino, then head to St.Urlich/Ortizei. Ortizei has a lively pedestrian center with typical Alpine architecture of Sud Tyrol region with excellent restaurants and shops famous for wood carving. After a short visit to the old town head up the cable car to reach Alpe di Suisi. Alpe di Suisi is a high plateau above Ortizei, is a beautiful area of sunny meadows and farmhouses. and Dolomite Mountains as backdrop.
Day 7 LIMONE SUL GARDA-RIVA DEL GARDA-MALSECINE-SIRMIONE-MANTUA
After leaving Limone enjoy more of Lake Garda stunning views on the panoramic lake road called Gardesana, passing towns Riva del Garda and Malcesine.
Lunch stop is in Sirmione on Lake Garda where wealthy Romans constructed vacation villas here and enjoyed the thermal waters that bubble up from the lake bottom. Situated on a peninsula on the southern end of the lake it had a strategic military importance up through medieval times, as evidenced by the 12th century Scaliger Castle. Today it is a picturesque tourist town with a charming historic center and many restaurants offering al fresco dining around the main square.
Departure Sirmione for Mantova. Our lodging for two nights is the Hotel Casa Poli 4* or similar located a short walk from the historic center. Evening free. (B)
Day 8 MANTUA
Mantova was founded around the 6th century BC and in 214 BC became a Roman colony. In the 12th century, as an independent commune, a system of defense was created by deviating the waters of the River Mincio to form four lakes around the city thereby transforming Mantova into an island.
In their four centuries of rule (1328- 1707) the noble Gonzaga family created a period of political and economic stability and changed Mantova into an artistic and architectural jewel, the city reaching its maximum splendor in the 16th century. Discover Mantua old town, enormus Pallazo Ducale, the Teatro Scientifico Bibiena and more on a included tour by our expert local guide.
Free afternoon and evening. (B)
Day 9 MANTUA-BAVENO
Transfer to the shores of Lake Maggiore in the region of Piemonte where we’ll be staying our last three nights on tour at the Grand Hotel Dino 5* or similar in Baveno.
Baveno has been a prominent tourist destination since the early 19th century. The graceful and stylish lakefront is lined with Art Nouveau hotels and fine villas and is lush with beautiful gardens. It overlooks the Borromeo Islands that take their name from the family who has owned them since the 15th and 16th centuries. Isola Bella and Isola Madre were transformed by the introduction of lavish palaces and amazing landscaping.
You afternoon begins with a boat ride to visit the most beautiful and remarkable botanical gardens of Isola Madre, boasting rare plants from the world over. The palace has splendid Borromeo furnishings and 18th century marionette theaters. At Isola Bella we’ll have a guided tour of the ornate palazzo that is full of surprises and includes the extensive Borromeo collection of precious art.
Day 10 BAVENO-LAKE ORTA-BAVENO
Lake Orta is one of the smaller of the sub-alpine northern Italian lakes, just 8 miles long and a mile wide. Lesser known and quieter, though in no way lacking in charm nor a fascinating history, Orta has been a favorite of writers (Balzac), poets (Browning) and philosophers (Nietzsche). Evening boat ride for an included dinner on Isola dei Pescatori, a picturesque fishing village of an earlier era.
Our mid morning departure will take us to Orta San Giulio, the most populated (1,161) of the few settlements around the lake. A boat will take us to the enchanting Isola San Giulio. A wander around this picturesque tiny island (900 feet long by 460 feet wide), ringed by lovely palaces and draping wisteria vines, will lead us to the beautiful and interesting 12th century Romanesque basilica.
After some free time on Lake Orta we head back to Baveno.
Evening boat ride for an included farawell dinner on Isola dei Pescatori, a picturesque fishing village of an earlier era. (B,D)
Day 11 BAVENO-MALPENSA AIRPORT
Morning transfers to Milan Malpensa airport (B)
Towns and places
- Transportation in modern luxury passenger mini-van with extra leg room
- Transfer to Milan hotel from Milan airport on Day 1 (other airports available for extra cost)
- Transfer from Lake Maggiore hotel to Malpensa airport on Day 11 (other airports available for extra cost)
- 10 nights accomodation based on double/twin bed occupancy in a 4 star hotels
- Full time professional English speaking guide/driver on the tour.
- Entrance fees to Last Supper in Milan- Skip the line, Mantua Ducal Palace and Boromeo Palace on Isola Bella.
- Sirmione Lake Garda boat ride, Lake Como boat and Lake Maggiore boat. Cable car to Suisi Alps. Funiculare to Bergamo Alta and San Vigilio.
- Local guides in Milan, Bergamo, Mantua, Villa Del Balbianelo and Borromeo Palace on Isola Bella.
- All breakfasts, four dinners with drinks, one lunch wih wine tasting...
- Parking fees, permits and motorway tolls.
- Basic insurance and organization.
- Overnight city tax
- Lake view rooms in Bellagio on Lake Como, Limone Sul Garda and Stresa on Lake Maggiore
- City walking tours with local guides in Milan, Bergamo and Mantova.
- Milan Duomo
- Cenacolo (Last Supper) di Leonardo da Vinci guided visit
- Villa del Balbianello in Lenno guided visit
- Lake Garda Scenic drive
- Dolomites UNESCO site visit and Suisi Alps cable car
- Palazzo Ducale and Palazzo Te Mantova
- Boat tour Sirmione peninsula on Lake Garda
- Borromeo Palace Isola Bella guided tour
- Lake Orta San Giulio Island visit
Italian Lakes tour begins: Milan, Italy
Transfers from Malpensa airport on Day 1
Other airports on request.
Italian Lakes tour ends: Baveno, Italy
Transfers to Milan Malpensa airport on Day 11
Other airports on request.
Why travel with us?
- Private travel – gives you a highly personalized and unforgettable experience that you won’t find on a large group tour. Traveling on a private tour is extremely suitable in this unprecedented times.
- Unique itineraries– Our carefully designed itineraries are a wonderful blend of the major sites and delightful places that we’ve discovered off the beaten paths, where you’ll find fewer tourists.
- All included – no optional hidden cost excursions.
- Best value – our lower prices and high quality make us a great choice for an escorted private tour.
- The best historic hotels, most are 4 star or 5 star, dating from previous centuries, located inside historic districts to maximize your free time on tour.
- The best small restaurants where local eat and great wines – all included, as much as you like. No pre-fixed group menu’s, you dine alla cart.
- Exceptional native tour guides and local guides – experienced, informative, attentive and fun! Essential to an authentic experience!
- Leisurely pace – your average day on tour begins at 9am and there is ample free time for your own explorations daily.
- Airport transfer– Choose your arrival airport. Flexibility is one of our motos, so we´ll be glad to pick you up from nearby airports and bring you to/from your hotel.
- Driving time-we want you to experience your destinations on foot, not from the highway. On average we spend two-three hours a day or less traveling, along scenic roads wherever possible. Our vehicles are modern luxury passenger mini-vans with extra leg room and extremly comfortabile when traveling even longer distances.