After an experienced traveler has already visited the famous cities in Europe and got the taste for Italy, France, Spain and other big tourist destinations of the old continent, the refined travelers tastebuds may be looking for more. Wanting more of the traveling thrill poses question – where to go next? If you are looking for an overload of history, culture, architecture and other thrills that you need to reveal to yourself – Western balkans is the answer! Since the most remote past the territory trapped between the Alps, Panonian plain and Adriatic Sea has been the playground of history. The clashes between different religions and civilizations, empires and religions were inevitable in this strategic area. Everyone left something behind to rediscover. Come with us and be surprised! Enjoy our trips and learn about the exciting past and present in the Balkan Peninsula.
10 sites not to be missed when traveling in the Balkans:
- Albanian capital Tirana
- The city that grew from 200.000 to almost a million inhabitants in only 30 years is wild, ancient and modern. Situated between the mighty Albanian mountains and the Adriatic Sea, Tirana will charm you with its dynamic life, busy traffic and excellent food. Once a hermetically closed communist dictatorship country, it is now thriving with life and rushing towards a better future!
- Lake Bled with Island
- Situated under the Julian alps in Slovenia, Lake Bled looks like a picture postcard. The Glacier lake was created some 14.000 years ago during the last ice age and it will charm you with its turquoise waters. Take the boat and be rowed to the island and ring the bell of wishes. Take a deep breath of fresh alpine air and enjoy the tranquil timelessness under the mighty castle of Bled!
- Athens Acropolis
- Greece is inspiring. One of the most powerful views is the Ancient Acropolis that dominates the great city of Athens! Walk the streets of Plaka, visit the sites where democracy and modern western society was born. Go where the past walks hand in hand with the present and enjoy the spirit of modern Greece!
- Kotor Old town
- One of the impressive Unesco World heritage sites, the Kotor bay, hosts the ancient town of Kotor. Protected by the steep Montenegrin mountains it provided the perfect hideout port to all kinds of marine powers of the Mediterranean Sea through the millenniums. Walled first by Venetians, it played one of the major roles in the southern Adriatic Sea. Its limestone streets are packed with restaurants, bars and shops. It offers a unique experience of the ancient and contemporary!
- Dubrovnik Old Town
- The Pearl of the Adriatic, once the small but powerful capital of Republic of Dubrovnik – one off the most glorious and powerful Maritime republics in the Mediterranean Sea. It is impossible to describe the view at its 16 century defense walls. Dubrovnik is a magnet for tourists from allover the world. One of the localities where “The Game of thrones” was shoot will simply overtake you with its beauty, history and hospitality!
- Sarajevo Baščaršija Old Bazaar
- Did you know that Sarajevo used to be the second most important city in the old Ottoman Empire? First settled by the ancient Romans and later established by the Turks it offers a unique blend of multi ethnicity, the coexistence of different religions and architectures. Emerge yourself into delights of the original Turkish Bazaar and enjoy the European breeze brought there by the Habsburg rulers of Austria!
- Plitvice Lakes
- Probably the most beautiful Croatian national Park, The Plitvice lakes attracts people from all over the world. Sixteen terraced lakes with its clean and green waters and astonishing millennial forests are UNESCO protected. Don’t miss this if you love beautiful and pristine nature, fresh air and hearty local food!
- Durmitor National park
- The highest mountains in Montenegro are home also to the most impressive canyon in the Balkans. The canyon on the river Tara is by its depth second only to The Grand canyon in the USA. Its wild waters offer plenty of opportunities for one of the best rafting sites in Europe. Mighty mountain peaks covered by Black pine forests gave the name to Montenegro. Discover its wild beauty with us!
- ‘The hanging monasteries’ of Meteora are breathtaking! During the 400 years of Ottoman occupation the Christian Orthodox Greek monks were building monasteries on high rocks to preserve their religion. The marvelous sandstone formations of Meteora and many monasteries on their tops have been an inspiration for centuries. Experience the mystic of the ancient Orthodox world and enjoy the breathtaking views of the gorgeous landscape!
- Ohrid Lake
- The oldest lake in Europe has more than one million years under its belt. Lying between Northern Macedonia and Albania, Lake Ohrid has witnessed rich history since prehistoric times. The timelessness of the town of Ohrid will impress you with its churches, monasteries and incredible rich history. Did you know that the two Slavic saints – St. Cyril and St. Methodius made foundations for the Cyrillic handwriting in Ohrid? Discover the magic of Ohrid lake and its people, it is truly one of the most beautiful places in the Balkans!
We are passionate about Balkans and have been fascinated by its hungry soul over and over again! That is why we have prepared ‘The Balkan delight’ tour to share with you. Join us and widen your horizons on one of the best trips of your lifetime! We have selected a great route and you will be assisted by experienced tour managers and best local guides.
Join the adventure.